This story has been updated with Seagate's response.
SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif. (TheStreet -- Seagate (STX) shares rose sharply on Tuesday afternoon after trading in the company was briefly halted. Earlier, a news report about a failed buyout had caused a significant spike in Seagate shares, prompting the brief trading halt.
The single-stock circuit breaker came after a Bloomberg story that said Seagate had been in failed talks with TPG Capital and Silver Lake about taking the company private. Citing people with knowledge of the discussions, Bloomberg said that talks ended in recent weeks, and the deal, which would have been valued at about $7 billion, is now unlikely to happen.
Seagate shares rose 24 cents, or 2.1%, to $11.53, after trading restarted, outpacing the Nasdaq, which was up just 0.07%.Implemented in response to the "Flash Crash" earlier this year, the single-stock circuit breaker halts trading in a stock for five minutes if the share price is particularly volatile during the preceding five minutes. Seagate, which describes itself as the world's largest manufacturer of hard drives, currently has a market cap of $5.43 billion. Bloomberg said that negotiations between Seagate and the private equity firms broke down because Seagate wasn't meeting some of the financial projections the deal was based on. The storage specialist declined to provide a comment on this story when contacted by TheStreet. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV