NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- When's the first day of fall, you ask? When retailers are good and ready for it, that's when.
According to the U.S. government, this year's autumnal equinox takes place today at 11:09 p.m. Thanks NASA, but America really isn't going to wait that long to truck out bags of candy corn and plastic Jack O' Lanterns, start sipping coffee drinks that taste of caramel and gourds and stop watching men with bats and balls in favor of armored athletes who run into one another at full speed.
By that measure, it's been autumn since the last beach blanket was rolled up on Labor Day. However, even in a retail environment that's known to put out holiday items a second after the last back-to-school notebook leaves the shelves, there's still a slight respect for seasonal offerings. Lunar cycle notwithstanding, here are the five biggest signs autumn has arrived:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV