NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stocks failed to hold gains made after the Federal Reserve left rates unchanged and signaled its readiness to enact accommodative policies if needed.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average finished 7 points, or 0.07% higher at 10,761 while both the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq lost ground. The S&P 500 shed 3 points, or 0.3%, to 1140, and the Nasdaq lost 7 points, or 0.3%, to 2349.
The U.S. dollar tanked against a basket of currencies following the Fed's announcement, with the dollar index last down over 1%.
In its much-anticipated rate decision and outlook statement, the Federal Open Market Committee said that the pace of recovery had slowed in the last few months and that it would maintain its target rates at zero to 0.25%. Additionally, the FOMC paved the way to "provide additional accommodation if needed."
|Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV