NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks failed to hold gains made after the Federal Reserve left rates unchanged and signaled its readiness to enact accommodative policies if needed.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average finished 7 points, or 0.07% higher at 10,761 while both the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq lost ground. The S&P 500 shed 3 points, or 0.3%, to 1140, and the Nasdaq lost 7 points, or 0.3%, to 2349.
The U.S. dollar tanked against a basket of currencies following the Fed's announcement, with the dollar index last down over 1%.
In its much-anticipated rate decision and outlook statement, the
|Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV