McAdam, the head of Verizon Wireless, has been the front-runner for the no. 2 for more than a year, as first reported here. And given his wireless credentials, if anyone is going to thaw the frosty standoff between Apple and Verizon, it will be McAdam.
|Lowell McAdam, Verizon's New no. 2.|
The Apple and Verizon impasse dates back to McAdam's predecessor, Denny Strigl, who originally rejected the iPhone outright over so-called control issues.
But in his three years leading the wireless unit, McAdam has probably done more than anyone to move the old line giant away from its fortress approach to the mobile market -- toward a more open system.As customers may recall, Verizon kept a notoriously tight lock on devices and services that were approved for the network. The company crippled Wi-Fi in fear it would take away from its data business. It also operated its own VCast store as the sole download service for games, songs and videos. Among his accomplishments, McAdam reversed Verizon's stance against Google's open network effort and formed a partnership with Google to develop the now popular Android phones. So it seems likely that under McAdam, Verizon will let some of its old feuds die and possibly embrace the iPhone as one of the key devices that could help light up the company's new LTE 4G network. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/TheStreet_Tech. >To send a tip, email: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV