United Airlines Flies Back to NYSE
Long an NYSE-company, United switched to NASDAQ when it emerged from bankruptcy in February 2006 (seen below). But on Monday, United said it will move back on Oct. 1 after completing its planned merger with Continental (CAL). At that time, United will turn in the "UAUA" symbol and reclaim its "UAL" symbol.
The move requires approval by directors of United and the NYSE. The holding company's name will become United Continental Holdings Inc.
United's decision to switch to the NASDAQ occurred as the three-year bankruptcy rumbled towards a close. On Jan. 20, 2006, then-CFO Jake Brace told reporters after a bankruptcy hearing that both the NYSE and the NASDAQ had approved the company's new stock. One week later, the company said it would trade on the NASDAQ.And on Feb. 12, 2006, CEO Glenn Tilton remotely rang the NASDAQ opening bell from Chicago's O'Hare International Airport. "We thank NASDAQ for being an excellent partner to United for the past four years," Tilton said Monday, in a prepared statement. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV