NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks closed near session highs Monday as a technical breakthrough by the S&P 500 and an official end date for the recent economic recession had investors feeling more confident about the market's direction a day ahead of the Federal Open Market Committee's rate decision.
(IBM) plans to acquire
Shares of Netezza jumped 14.9% to $28.27 and Lennar's stock climbed 8.2% to $15.14.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 146 points, or 1.4%, to finish at 10,754. The S&P 500 added 17 points, or 1.5%, to 1,143, and the Nasdaq finished 40 points higher, or up by 1.7%, at 2,356.The Dow is now up in 12 of the last 14 sessions, and Monday's finish was its highest since May 13. The September rally is on an historic pace with its gain of 7.4% to date putting it on track for its best performance in this historically bad month since 1939. During Monday's session, the National Bureau of Economic Research said the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV