NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks closed near session highs Monday as a technical breakthrough by the S&P 500 and an official end date for the recent economic recession had investors feeling more confident about the market's direction a day ahead of the Federal Open Market Committee's rate decision.
(IBM) plans to acquire
Shares of Netezza jumped 14.9% to $28.27 and Lennar's stock climbed 8.2% to $15.14.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 146 points, or 1.4%, to finish at 10,754. The S&P 500 added 17 points, or 1.5%, to 1,143, and the Nasdaq finished 40 points higher, or up by 1.7%, at 2,356.The Dow is now up in 12 of the last 14 sessions, and Monday's finish was its highest since May 13. The September rally is on an historic pace with its gain of 7.4% to date putting it on track for its best performance in this historically bad month since 1939. During Monday's session, the National Bureau of Economic Research said the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV