Apple's plans call for an iPad 2, which will be a 7-inch touchscreen tablet with a front-facing VGA camera and a 1-megapixel rear camera targeted for a March arrival, says Rodman Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar, who has talked to Apple's supply and manufacturing partners.
The details of the iPad 2 help confirm recent rumors that Apple was shrinking the popular iPad to defend its position against a wave of smaller new tablets like the Dell (DELL) Streak (a 5-inch device) and the Samsung Galaxy Tab (7 inches). But unlike earlier reports that called for a new iPad in time for the holidays, the new information puts the arrival closer to spring.
The iPad 2 is being made by Pegatron, the Taiwan contract manufacturer that is also assembling Apple's CDMA iPhone, which is expected to appear at Verizon (VZ) early next year, says Kumar.Apple's decision to introduce a smaller, presumably cheaper follow-up to the original iPad is a bit puzzling. Clearly it signals the possibility that Apple sees a threat to its tablet franchise at the lower price levels. But Apple may also want to shrink the device so it doesn't cannibalize its notebook sales. The news of the iPad 2 comes less than a week after Samsung unveiled its Galaxy Tab, a touch-screen device that will arrive at Verizon, Sprint (S), AT&T (T) and T-Mobile in the coming months. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: email@example.com. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/TheStreet_Tech. >To send a tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV