Over the weekend, the final relief well drilling was completed by BP putting an end to the BP oil spill that began on April 20. Cement has now sealed off the busted BP well for good, even though for all intents and purposes the well had been shut off since July 15.
Outgoing BP CEO Tony Hayward gave what might be his final statement on the oil spill -- outside of a courtroom or governmental commission chamber -- saying, "This is a significant milestone in the response to the Deepwater Horizon tragedy and is the final step in a complex and unprecedented subsea operation -- finally confirming that this well no longer presents a threat to the Gulf of Mexico."
Yet drilling operations in the Gulf of Mexico, the fortunes of many exploration companies and their investors, and the Gulf economy as a whole are still threatened.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV