Best Growth Companies in Growing Industries
Company Profile: Thoratec is a medical-device maker.Closing Price: $37.65 (Sept. 17) One-Year Stock Performance: 24% Wassung's Take: "I found myself looking into critical cardiac care. Thoratec makes left ventricular assist devices (LVADs), which are essentially an implantable heart pump that assists someone who has heart failure. People waiting for a heart transplant don't have a lot of options while they're on that waiting list, and sadly some of those patients won't get a transplant. "Thoratec has a fully approved alternative solution that gives heart failure patients a very good quality of life. It's not the easiest industry to understand, but they're the only company with destination therapy (DT) approval, which means patients on the waiting list can use their pumps as a bridge to get them to the transplants. The survival data has been excellent. It could be a permanent solution for people who have major challenges. It's a need that no one else is serving with a market that is rapidly expanding." Analyst Consensus: Thirteen of 18 analysts who cover Thoratec have a "buy" rating on the stock. Another four analysts say investors should hold the shares, while one analyst has a "sell" rating on the medical-device company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV