Samsung Galaxy Tab: Netbook 2.0
Samsung unveiled the Google (GOOG) Android-powered Galaxy Tab at a press show Thursday in New York. It features front- and back-facing cameras for video calling and a 1-gigahertz Samsung Hummingbird processor (notably, it's not Qualcomm (QCOM) or Intel (INTC) inside).
If there's one troubling thing beyond the fact that its size doesn't exactly make it pocketable and it's not really a phone, the Galaxy Tab hopes to make its big retail splash in phone stores.>>Samsung Galaxy Tab Launch Though its Android apps and media-playing features aim directly at the popular Apple iPad, the Galaxy Tab is taking a distinctly smartphone route to the market. Samsung's hope is that phone companies will offer consumers the Tab at a cheaper subsidized price in exchange for monthly or yearly data service plans. This has been a very challenging route for non-phone devices. The most recent example might be the netbook invasion that never really gained much ground through phone stores, in part because the cheap, initial price of the devices were more than outweighed by the hefty costs of one- and two-year data plans. Asked about its WiFi-only Tab plans, Samsung remained mum. Presumably the company wants to let the telcos push the Galaxy Tab a bit before putting out a cheaper, WiFi-only offering. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/TheStreet_Tech. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV