Analyst Cuts Outlook Estimates For Metals, Mining
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ An analyst for KeyBanc Capital Markets cut forecasts for several metals and mining companies Friday, citing an "ongoing hangover" from the credit collapse and a reluctance by local governments to invest in new projects.
KeyBanc analyst Mark Parr said underlying demand appears to be improving in September due to gains in industrial production and other markets including energy, heavy trucks and agriculture. However, the automotive market seems to have flattened this year and nonresidential construction continues to struggle.
Parr cut per-share earnings expectations in 2010 for AK Steel Holding Corp. (down 82 cents to a loss of 17 cents), Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. (down 30 cents to $7.90), Nucor Corp. (down 25 cents to 75 cents), Reliance Steel & Aluminum (down 5 cents to $2.85), Steel Dynamics Inc. (down 15 cents to 80 cents), U.S. Steel Corp. (down 30 cents to 70 cents), and Olympic Steel Inc. (down 5 cents to 85 cents).
Parr maintained "Buy" ratings for Reliance Steel & Aluminum, Steel Dynamics and U.S. Steel; and maintained "Hold" ratings for AK Steel, Cliffs Natural Resources, Metals USA Holdings, Nucor and Olympic Steel.KeyBanc's estimate reflects a continued slump in nonresidential construction demand, especially for Nucor and Steel Dynamics. It also reflects a competition at steel mills.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV