Novell Could Sell Linux Unit to VMware
WALTHAM, Massachusetts (TheStreet) -- Novell (NOVL) is in advanced talks with at least two buyers, including VMware (VMW), to sell the software company in separate pieces, the Wall Street Journal reports.
Citing people familiar with the matter, the Journal said VMware is looking to buy Novell's SUSE Linux operating system business. Attachmate, a private-equity backed software company, may end up buying some or all of the remaining assets, including Novell's network operating system NetWare.
The people told the Journal that Novell is most likely to sell its Linux business to VMware, but the two sides still differ on valuation. The Linux business would strengthen VMware's cloud computing offerings.
Novell put itself up for sale six months ago, the Journal notes, after hedge fund Elliott Associates made an unsolicited bid of $5.75 a share. Novell rejected the offer, but said it would be open to making a deal. Novell closed Thursday at $6.05.The New York Post first reported Novell was nearing a deal. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV