The move represents an additional planned increase since the aircraft maker said in June that
Boeing stock closed up marginally Thursday at $62.58 and is likely to open higher on Friday, as increased 737 production is a positive development for the company. The current production rate is 31.5 a month.
"Increasing production is in response to customer demand for this airplane," said Jim Albaugh, CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, in a prepared statement. "Airlines want this innovative airplane sooner to renew their fleets to serve their customers. We made this decision after careful evaluation by Boeing and our supplier partners."Boeing has a backlog of more than 2,000 orders for the 737 as well as current options that customers are expected to exercise and ongoing sales campaigns. The rate increase is not expected to have a material impact on 2010 financial results. The next-generation 737 was introduced in 1997. By early 2012, a combination of airframe and engine improvements will result in a 2% reduction in the plane's fuel consumption. Last month, CFO James Bell told an investor conference that Boeing was
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV