BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The benchmark S&P 500 Index has rallied 7.2% so far in September. Individual investors are overinvested in bonds and underexposed to equities.
Technology is one of analysts' favorite sectors. Here are 10 lesser-known tech stocks, which are all predicted to gain at least 50% in the next 12 months, based on median targets. These stocks are risky, but expected to deliver outstanding returns. They are ordered by projected upside, from great to greatest.
10. Smith Micro Software (SMSI) develops mobile software. Second-quarter net income increased 48% to $1.9 million, or 5 cents a share, as revenue grew 21% to $31 million. The operating margin extended from 10% to 12%. Smith Micro's stock trades at a forward earnings multiple of 9.7 and a book value multiple of 1.5 -- 62% and 71% discounts to software peer averages. Its PEG ratio, a measure of value relative to projected growth, of 0.1 signals a 90% discount to fair value. Of analysts covering the stock, seven, or 88%, rank it "buy" and one ranks it "hold."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV