9 Completely Worthless Collectibles
The great news for Lladro collectors is that their porcelain figurine may resell for $1,000 or more. The bad news? They likely purchased it for roughly $3,000.
Unlike the other collectibles mentioned above, Lladro figurines can start from a lofty price point. A Christmas-themed 20-inch figurine called "Santa, I've Been Good" sells on the Lladro Web site for $3,000. That's a bargain compared with an 18-inch statue called "Koi" that retails for $4,800.In the secondary market, however, it's a different story. A mint-condition "Mermaid On The Wave" figurine purchased at retail for nearly $3,000 was purchased on eBay for $1,480 and $14.72 shipping. A figure of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza that warrants a $2,300 asking price and had one seller initially setting a $1,300 reserve went for $977. An image of Lord Ganesha commonly priced at $1,100 sold for $600. Why the more than 50% depreciation in value? As with many "limited edition" collectibles, the supply isn't so limited. The Ganesha figure, for example, had a "limited edition" of 2,000 figures. Even a $9,500 new release like the "Alexander Nevski" statuette is sold in editions of at least 500. The figurine maker takes pride in its "retired" pieces, but like many retirees, they're not hard to get ahold of once they leave the shop.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV