"I've done great shorts in my life, but this a total misapplication of the short strategy unless it's very short-term," Miller said. The analyst contends that Veeco's market is nowhere near saturation, and that doesn't even take into account the opportunity in the general lighting market expected to heat up once the U.S. moves to LED lighting in 2012. "This shorting is not based on legitimate fundamental analysis, but all technical. Veeco's market is not going to zero," Miller added.
Veeco shares weren't going to zero either, but Thursday was another day on which shorts were trying to push the LED stock that way.
--Written by Eric Rosenbaum in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: NAME.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/NAME.>To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV