NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Liberty Mutual has filed paperwork with the Securities Exchange Commission to take its agency public. The S-1 filing says the insurer plans to sell over 64 million shares at $18 and $20 per share.
"This will be the biggest IPO of the year," Scott Sweet, senior managing partner at IPO Boutique told The Street. "This is a good move for Liberty Mutual."
Liberty Mutual's agency is made up of independent agents and brokers that distribute the property and casualty insurer's products. Shareholders will own about 20% of the company under the IPO and Liberty Mutual would retain an 80% stake in the company.
Liberty Mutual Agency would file on the Nasdaq under the symbol "LMAC." The IPO could bring in $1.17 billion for the insurer that would be used to pay down debt, including $130 million from its acquisition of 2007 purchase of insurer Ohio Casualty.This IPO will essentially differentiate Liberty Mutual from other public and private insurers such as Allstate ( ALL) and Travelers (TRV), said Sweet. "If it goes off -- and based on the interest I believe it will -- this will be a success," Sweet said. "Liberty Mutual is also likely to use the money to make acretive acquisitions, especially of hard hit companies." --Written by Maria Woehr in New York.
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Maria Woehr. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/newsgirlmw. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV