As America's mortgage reckoning progresses, regulators, taxpayers and homeowners may eventually have to swallow a bitter pill of truth: Many troubled loans can't be worked out and will be sustaining losses, possibly for years to come. Hundreds of billions of federal dollars have been spent to keep funding costs low for the banking industry and its wealthiest clients, but can't do much to rescue troubled borrowers who are in over their heads.
Howard Atkins, CFO of the country's second-largest mortgage servicer Wells Fargo (WFC), noted that 30-year fixed mortgage rates are now tracking a full percentage point below the average rate in Wells' broader loan portfolio.
"Any homeowner that can refinance a mortgage loan should do so," said Atkins. "Even if that cash-out is relatively nominal," he added, "the wealth effect of this potential refi boom, in our view, is quite substantial."
--Written by Lauren Tara LaCapra in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Lauren Tara LaCapra.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV