BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The Russell 2000 small-cap benchmark has rallied 8.5% in September. If the economy strengthens, small-cap stocks are likely to outperform large-caps.
Investors who are piling into bonds could miss out on major upside if fear subsides. Here are 10 small-cap stocks predicted to rise at least 52% in the next 12 months, based on analysts' median targets. They have market values between $500 million and $1.5 billion, and are ordered by expected return.
10. P.H. Glatfelter (GLT) makes and sells specialty papers and fiber-based products. Its second-quarter profit plummeted 99% to $100,000, or break-even per share, beating expectations for a $500,000 loss. Revenue increased 30% to $365 million. The operating margin turned positive. Glatfelter's stock trades at a trailing earnings multiple of 5.5, a forward earnings multiple of 9, a book value multiple of 1.1 and a cash flow multiple of 2.8 -- 83%, 64%, 21% and 59% discounts to paper products industry averages. Three out of four analysts rate it "buy."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV