Vanguard launched nine ETFs on Sept. 9 targeting the style-box matrix based on S&P indexes with growth, value and blend versions of the large-cap S&P 500, the S&P Mid-Cap 400 and the S&P Small-Cap 600. All will compete with existing SPDRs and iShares products based on the same indexes.
Some analysts may brush these off as "me too" products, but Vanguard knows how to play "me too" better than anyone. Most Vanguard products on the market fit this description, yet the company has quietly entrenched itself as the third-largest ETF provider, with more than $110 billion in assets.
Vanguard introduced its first two ETFs in 2001, then sat quietly until January 2004 when it introduced 14 more. Only a licensing disagreement kept the 2004 batch from tracking S&P indexes. So Vanguard brought them out based on MSCI indexes.
Now, 34 years after the introduction of the Vanguard 500 Index Fund (VFINX), the ETF version has arrived. According to a Vanguard article, the new Vanguard S&P 500 ETF (VOO) features an expense ratio of 0.06%, the lowest expense ratio in the industry for an ETF based on the S&P 500 Index or any other large-capitalization domestic benchmark. All nine of the new ETFs are eligible for commission-free trading by Vanguard brokerage clients. The new ETFs:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV