Goldman's reason for the upgrade was Lowe's improved margins despite a time when "many retailers are likely to experience decelerating growth." After the news the stock gained +2% in the premarkets. The retail stock has gained +10.2% over the past month.
Along with the buy recommendation, Goldman estimated that the retailer's EPS would jump 18% in the third quarter and 31% in the fourth quarter. Lowe's will release its earnings report on Nov. 15.
Wal-Mart (WMT)Despite consumer spending being down, Citi has announced that it will maintain its buy rating of Wal-Mart (WMT). They have also reiterated their price target of $64, for the retail stock.
"[Wal-Mart] is intensely focused on fixing the mistakes made in the U.S. over the past two quarters by adding inventory back to the assortment, reinstating Action Alley, and returning to an EDLP pricing strategy. The company's outlook for 2H10 is cautious as the health of its core customer has not improved. However, correcting the company-specific issues at Wal-Mart U.S. should yield topline improvement in 2H10, and management's emphasis on the productivity loop gives us confidence that WMT can make our 2010 EPS estimate of $4.06," Citi experts announced.
Wal-Mart will release its earnings report on Nov. 16, and shareholders will discover if Citi's recommendation holds true.
More From Investor Place
|Dividend Stocks to Grow Your Nest Egg|
|7 Expert Stock Picks for Every InvestorThere|
|GameChanger Stocks to Build Your Wealth|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV