The Weekend That Changed Wall Street: Book Excerpt
A couple of Bond girls slid over to us, and suddenly a photographer appeared. "Take your picture?" he asked. Fuld jumped up in alarm. "I'm not getting my picture taken with any Bond girls," he barked, and took off. Cayne laughed and shrugged. He didn't mind. Nothing could touch him--or so he thought.
In retrospect, the Bond theme was an interesting commentary on the era. Schwarzman might well have imagined himself as the 007 of Wall Street, smoothly sailing above the troubles that afflicted others. He appeared to enjoy playing the sophisticated man's man; the male ideal; a magnet for power, money, and women for whom danger and intrigue were all in a day's work.
Schwarzman was the envy of his peers, but he and they might have paused to consider that in 2006 the primary characteristic of James Bond was that he was an anachronism, and those who aspired to walk in his shoes were perhaps headed in the wrong direction.
Having just been to the Schwarzman apartment, I noticed right away that the Armory was decorated as a replica of their living room. Everything was absolute perfection, as one would expect of a party with such a hefty price tag. Schwarzman's favorite entertainer, Rod Stewart, performed. (I'm told his fee was $1 million.) Patti LaBelle sang "Happy Birthday." It was yet another lavish, over-the-top celebration of capitalism, paying homage to the new captains of finance. Life was good.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV