"We're not competing," he said, adding that he has no regrets that Apple, not IBM, came up with the iPad. "It's extremely exciting, and it's a good business model because of the App Store but, at the end of the day, it's not the kind of innovation that we're espousing."
|IBM CEO Sam Palmisano|
Palmisano also voiced his concern about long-term tablet margins, explaining that IBM is more focused on its "smarter planet" initiatives. These include broad-based technology projects geared towards traffic systems, healthcare and financial markets.
"Rather than something that lets you watch TV in another format, our scientists would rather do things that change the world," said Palmisano.IBM sold its $12 billion PC business to Lenovo for $1.75 billion in 2004, which Palmisano described as a "reasonable" valuation. "We wanted to get out before it was obvious to everyone," he said. "When
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV