If it's the case that even people as smart as Sir Isaac Newton and Warren Buffett are useless to investors as market prognosticators, then why do the financial headlines scream with every minor word of confidence that Warren Buffett offers on the U.S. economy? Especially when a week later he chops those words up, and reissues them as a less enthusiastic view of a minor economy recovery.
By Buffett's own words, neither he, Isaac Newton, NBER, or anyone else can claim to see such events before they happen, so maybe we should stop following Buffett's never-ending whistle-stop tour of comments about when and where and by how many carpets the U.S. economy will recover.
It seems there are only two cases in which Buffett is showing real consistency recently, making more money than any other American and selling shares of Moody's. The Forbes 400 -- the list of the 400 Richest Americans -- was just issued for 2010, and Buffett is again No. 2 behind Bill Gates, with an estimated net worth of $45 billion.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: NAME. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/NAME. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV