Futures Fluctuate; Retail Sales Rise 0.4%
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stock futures fluctuated ahead of the bell on Tuesday, after retail sales came in better than expected.
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average were lower by 11 points at 10,461 and were 14 points below fair value. Futures for the S&P 500 were lower by 2 points at 1114 and were 2 points below fair value, and Nasdaq futures were unchanged at 1917 and were 2 points below fair value.
Retail sales for August climbed 0.4%, the Commerce Department said early Tuesday. That was higher than the 0.3% analysts were expecting, boosting investor sentiment.At 10 a.m. EDT, the Commerce Department is expected to say that business inventories climbed 0.7%, according to consensus estimates from Briefing.com. Changes in business inventories are used by economists to get a reading on industrial production data, which also will be released later this week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV