NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stock futures fluctuated ahead of the bell on Tuesday, after retail sales came in better than expected.
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average were lower by 11 points at 10,461 and were 14 points below fair value. Futures for the S&P 500 were lower by 2 points at 1114 and were 2 points below fair value, and Nasdaq futures were unchanged at 1917 and were 2 points below fair value.
Retail sales for August climbed 0.4%, the Commerce Department said early Tuesday. That was higher than the 0.3% analysts were expecting, boosting investor sentiment.At 10 a.m. EDT, the Commerce Department is expected to say that business inventories climbed 0.7%, according to consensus estimates from Briefing.com. Changes in business inventories are used by economists to get a reading on industrial production data, which also will be released later this week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV