Farmer Bros. Reports Fourth Quarter And Fiscal 2010 Results
Farmer Bros. Co. (NASDAQ: FARM) today reported a net loss of $21.0 million, or $1.40 per share, for its fiscal fourth quarter ended June 30, 2010, compared with a net loss of $25.6 million, or $1.76 per share, for its prior year fiscal fourth quarter. For the full fiscal year ended June 30, 2010, the Company reported a net loss of $24.0 million, or $1.61 per share, compared with a net loss of $33.3 million, or $2.29 per share in the prior fiscal year.
Net sales for fiscal 2010 increased $108.6 million, or 32%, to $450.3 million from $341.7 million in the prior fiscal year, primarily due to the addition of DSD Coffee Business net sales beginning on March 1, 2009.
Cost of goods sold in fiscal 2010 increased $71.2 million, or 39%, to $252.8 million, or 56% of sales, from $181.5 million, or 53% of sales, in fiscal 2009 primarily due to the addition of the DSD Coffee Business beginning on March 1, 2009. Additionally, the cost of coffee brewing equipment and related service included in cost of goods sold contributed to the increase in cost of goods sold. Cost of coffee brewing equipment and related service for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2010 was $21.5 million compared to $13.1 million for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2009.
Gross profit in fiscal 2010 increased $37.3 million, or 23%, to $197.5 million from $160.2 million in fiscal 2009. However, gross margin decreased to 44% in fiscal 2010 from 47% in the prior fiscal year. As with net sales, the increase in gross profit is directly attributable to the acquisition of the DSD Coffee Business. The decrease in gross margin is primarily due to the increase in cost of coffee brewing equipment and related service cost included in cost of goods sold in fiscal 2010 compared with the prior fiscal year, and the addition of a new class of DSD Coffee Business customers who require a different mix of products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV