NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Wells Fargo (WFC) shares surged, along with the broader sector, one day after banking regulators agreed on new international capital standards as part of Basel III.
"There is still a lot to be determined from these regulations," Wells Fargo's CFO Howard Atkins said this morning at the Barclays Capital Global Financial Services Conference held in New York.
The new rules set a total common equity requirement of 7%, which is a combination of a minimum Tier 1 common equity of 4.5% as well as a requirement that banks hold a "capital conservation buffer" of 2.5%.
"As you can see, as of June 30, our Tier 1 common of 7.61%. We're growing capital very significantly internally," Atkins said. Wells Fargo has increased its Tier 1 common by approximately 115 basis points year to date. "There will be some deductions from that 7.6%, but we don't really see at this point that this is a big deal for us."That being said, Atkins cautioned that Wells Fargo still needs to get approval from U.S. bank regulators in order to use its capital to benefit shareholders directly. "We still have to get permission from the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV