NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- According to readers of TheStreet, the company most likely to benefit from the bed-bug epidemic is agricultural seed giant Monsanto (MON) -- which also happens to be one the biggest names in the business of manufacturing pest control products.
While Monsanto garnered 21.7% of the votes in our poll on which stock is best poised to profit from the bed-bug outbreak, Sealy (ZZ) came in a close second, receiving 20.4% of the votes cast. Clorox (CLX) came in third, with 15.3% of the votes.
According to brand and communications company Hall & Partners, its WebWord tool -- which the company uses to monitor online "buzz" for clients and brands it's tracking -- shows that "fail" and "resistant" are among the words most strongly associated with searches on "bed bugs and cure." However, no brand is being singled as a failure. Likewise, no search results were showing up for "cure."Hall & Partners believes these results indicate an important opportunity for many consumer goods companies. "While people are talking a lot about bed bugs lately, no one seems to know what to do with them," Hall & Partners director Brigette Lytle said. "If a brand started talking about how they are a cure for bed bugs, they can have a stronghold in the market before anyone else gets out there with it." According to reports, the bed-bug outbreak has reached record levels across the U.S., with Google's (GOOG) New York City office being among the latest to fall victim to the critters. -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV