Claymore/NYSE Arca Airline ETF (FAA) -3%
With Obama laying out plans for infrastructure stimulus and executives from a number of reputable railroad companies foreseeing strength in the near future, the outlook for transportation is looking cheerful. However, not all is rosy. This week, the markets were not keen on the airlines, causing FAA to slump.
Despite this week's losses for FAA, I feel that the broad transportation industry could be something to watch this coming week. Industry bellwether and iShares Dow Jones Transportation Average Index Fund's (IYT) top holding, FedEx (FDX), is scheduled to announce its quarterly earnings report. These numbers should provide insight not only into the state of the transports, but also the broader economy.
iShares Cohen & Steers Realty Majors Index Fund (ICF) -2.1%The REITs were another section of the market that struggled this week, causing ICF and iShares FTSE NAREIT Residential Index Fund (REZ) to slump. This week's slowdown appears to a breather for the REITs. Throughout the second half of the summer, these ETFs have seen impressive run-ups. Looking to the near term, I still believe that real estate funds such as ICF and REZ hold promise. -- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV