NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Here are this week's ETF winners and losers.
WinnersiPath Dow Jones UBS Sugar Total Return Subindex ETN (SGG) 9.2%
Sugar prices surged this week, helping SGG continue along the steep, upward path it has followed through the summer.
While SGG's ascension has been dramatic, investors should hold off on adding exposure to this fund. Like other single commodity ETFs, the sugar ETN is vulnerable to large swings to both the upside and downside. As seen by its performance at the start of the year, this fund can tumble just as fast as it rises.
LosersPowerShares Dynamic Semiconductor Portfolio (PSI) -4.8% The semiconductor industry lagged this week despite the general market optimism. While I still see technology as a strong area of the market as we head into the closing months of 2010, semiconductor funds such as PSI and SPDR S&P Semiconductor ETF (XSD) may not be the best avenue to venture down. I have more confidence in funds such as the PowerShares QQQ Portfolio (QQQQ) and First Trust NYSE Internet Index Fund (FDN) going forward. In the near term FDN, in particular, should hold promise as consumers gear up for the holiday season.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV