"I came to this company to grow it, double its revenue and stay independent," Mike Borman, the Blue Coat CEO, told TheStreet. "My job is to build this company to a billion-dollar company, and that's what we're working on."
|Mike Borman, CEO Blue Coat Systems|
Blue Coat, which builds hardware and software for securing Web communications and delivering enterprise applications over wide area networks (WANs), has been thrust into the spotlight in recent weeks.
The Silicon Valley firm is one of a number of security companies like Check Point (CHKP) and ArcSight (ARST) that have been touted as potential acquisition bait in the aftermath of Intel's (INTC) $7.7 billion McAfee (MFE) deal.With investors eagerly watching to see whether tech heavyweights such as IBM (IBM) and Dell (DELL) open their wallets, there has been speculation that Blue Coat and rival Websense (WBSN) could make attractive targets. Borman, who took over from Brian NeSmith as Blue Coat CEO earlier this month, clearly has other plans. The Blue Coat supremo would not give a time frame for reaching the billion-dollar revenue mark, but he did say that shareholders can expect a boost -- eventually. "Doubling the company's revenue would drive the stock more than double," he said. Recent weeks have been something of a rollercoaster for Blue Coat investors. The stock took a pounding when the company put out mixed first-quarter results last month, but regained ground when former IBM (IBM) software executive Borman was names as CEO on Sep.1. Currently trading around $21, the firm's stock is down 55 cents, or 2.55% this year. Blue Coat sells its products into 83% of Fortune's 500 and counts British Telecom (BT), Merck (MRK) and the NFL's Green Bay Packers as customers, but Borman says there is still plenty of work to do. "There was some
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV