Aon will sell $600 million worth of five-year notes, $600 million worth of 10-year notes and $300 million worth of 30-year notes. Like other corporations, Aon was able to seize on the low-interest-rate environment to offer notes at 3.5%, 5% and 6.25%, respectively. The pricing came at a spread of 200-to-250 basis points above Treasury bills with comparable maturities.
Aon, an insurance and risk-management firm, announced a $4.9 billion cash-and-stock deal to acquire Hewitt on July 12. Pending approval by regulators and shareholders, the Chicago-based companies expect the deal to close by mid-November. They expect the deal to save $355 million a year by 2013 and generate $1.5 billion in stock value on a discounted cash-flow basis. They expect earnings per share to rise 1.2% next year and another 5.8% in 2013.
Since the close before the deal's announcement, Aon shares have been relatively flat, while Hewitt's stock has shot up 40% to just below Aon's $50-per-share offer. Late Thursday afternoon, Aon shares were up 7 cents at $37.85 and Hewitt was up 4 cents at $49.40.--Written by Lauren Tara LaCapra in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Lauren Tara LaCapra. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/laurenlacapra. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV