"We see the global economy improving, but obviously it is uneven," said Mark Fields, Ford president for the Americas, at an investor conference Thursday. "We do expect global growth to continue going forward."
China and India will grow, the U.S. will grow moderately and Europe is "a little bit of a worry spot," he said.
Ford will replace about 30% of its volume this year, said Fields, noting that "our replacement rate is at the top or right near the top of the industry [and] our approach is to make sure pipeline continues to remain full." He declined to specify a ceiling for Ford market share, which has climbed to 16.7% year-to-date from a low of 14.2% in 2008. During the past three decades, Ford's high point was 25.5% in 1996.Market share gains and increased pricing power will help to offset Ford's anticipated $1 billion in new costs this year, partially due to higher commodity costs and higher costs associated with volume increases and new product introductions. Ford's big three introductions in 2010 include a new power train for the F-150 pickup, a new Ford Explorer (below) and the new Focus.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV