Bank of England Holds Rates at 0.5%
LONDON -- The Bank of England says it is holding interest rates steady at a record low of 0.5% for the 18th consecutive month amid growing fears about a double-dip recession.
The British central bank also kept its 200 billion pound ($308 billion) asset-purchase program on hold in Thursday's announcement. Still, many economists believe it may soon restart the so-called quantitative easing program to boost the money supply and help the economy.
Worries about the stuttering economic recovery are outweighing concerns about rising inflation and the bank is expected to keep rates at the current level well into next year.
The British economy grew 1.2% in the three months to June, but recent data has suggested a significant slowdown in growth in the third quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV