NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With global government support for electric vehicle production continuing to grow, TheStreet last week asked investors which lithium battery stock they're most likely to pick out of a basket of electric vehicle stocks.
The vote was decisive: Johnson Controls garnered 13.6% of the votes, with Polypore International earning 13.9%, 16.8% going to Sociedad Quimica y Minera and 18.7% being cast for Advanced Battery Technologies.
A123 Systems, however, dominated the survey, garnering 36.9% of the votes.In its latest newsletter on lithium battery companies and the electric vehicle industry they caters to, Needham highlighted industry news that included an Environmental Protection Agency and the Transportation Department proposal to label each new passenger vehicle with a letter grade, from A to D, based on its fuel efficiency and emissions -- amid the Obama administration's ongoing promotion of electric vehicles. Meanwhile, the Ford (F) Focus Electric will be using a liquid system to regulate the temperature of its lithium-ion battery system, according to Needham. The electric vehicle is expected to have a range of 100 miles before recharging is needed. Needham also mentioned that GM is seeking to trademark the term "range anxiety" -- which, if approved by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, would be used by the company to market the long-range Volt. -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Stockpickr.com. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. Follow Andrea Tse on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV