Updated from 4:14 a.m. EDT
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Goldman Sachs (GS) was fined 17.5 million pounds ($26.92 million) by the U.K.'s financial regulator for failing to disclose to U.K. authorities it was being investigated for fraud in the United States.
The announcement from the U.K. Financial Services Authority confirms earlier reports that Goldman was facing a "near-record" fine.
The Financial Times, citing unidentified sources, reported Wednesday that the fine from the FSA would be "near-record." The FSA's largest-ever fine came three months ago, when JPMorgan Chase (JPM) paid 33.3 million pounds for failing to hold its clients' money in separate accounts.The fine from the FSA is the result of a five-month investigation announced four days after the Securities and Exchange Commission charged Goldman with civil fraud related to Abacus, a complex debt instrument it sold. Goldman settled that case for $550 million. Goldman shares finished 1.6% higher Wednesday at $147.54. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV