"It brings together all the things that you do in social networking in the consumer world, with stuff that we think is important for the enterprise, like security," Murali Sitaram, vice president of Cisco's Enterprise Collaboration Platform Group, told TheStreet. "It's like a campus quad -- over time, you will find that usage patterns will move from email to things like Cisco Quad."
A bold claim, but Cisco clearly thinks it is onto something. Many consumers, for example, rely heavily on social networks such as Facebook and Twitter for communication, particularly compared to older Webmail technologies such as Microsoft's (MSFT) Hotmail.
Essentially a hybrid of social networking and security technology such as virtual private networks (VPNs), Quad borrows heavily from the consumer world.The Web-based solution provides a Facebook-style activity feed and also lets users send secure instant messages and embedded videos around select groups of employees. The product is designed to work on mobile devices and desktops and Cisco's forthcoming Cius business tablet. Email has also reached a critical point in the business world, according to Sitaram. "We feel that email is a very strong tool, but it has probably outlived its utility," he said. "Email is not going to disappear
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV