Motorcar Parts of America (MPAA) rallied on Tuesday, pushing near its 52-week high after receiving an upgrade.
Motorcar was upgraded from hold to buy by BB&T Capital Markets on Tuesday. Shares closed at $7.91, up 76 cents or 10.6%. In the past 52 weeks, Motorcar shares have ranged from $4.54 to $7.95, putting the shares up almost 41% in 2010.
In early August, Motorcar posted net income for the fiscal 2011 first quarter of $2.5 million, or 21 cents per diluted share, compared with net income of $1.2 million, or 10 cents per diluted share for the year-ago period.On Aug. 30, Motorcar announced it made a $1.9 million strategic investment in Fenwick Automotive Products, Toronto, structured as a secured loan with an option to acquire substantial ownership. "This transaction represents a potential opportunity to expand beyond Motorcar Parts of America's alternator and starter business and leverage our company's existing manufacturing expertise and distribution channels... A major benefit of the transaction is the option to acquire a substantial portion of Fenwick Automotive and likely more than double Motorcar Parts of America's annual revenues with expected accretive earnings," said Selwyn Joffe, chairman, president and CEO of Motorcar.
Motorcar by the NumbersCompany Profile The Torrance, Calif.-based maker of aftermarket auto starters and alternators was founded in 1968. Income Statement Motorcar's gross operating profit has risen steadily the past three years, from $23 million in March 2007, to $44.7 million in March 2010. In the meantime, Motorcar cut its selling, general and administrative expenses from $24.7 million to $21.6 million in the past year. Balance Sheet Stock Ratios Motorcar's P/E ratio based on trailing 12 months earnings is 7.80, compared with 17.20 for the S&P 500. Analyst Ratings
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV