On Dec. 9, Howard Stern announced that he signed a new 5-year deal with Sirius XM, ending months of speculation about the shock jock's plans.
Sirius stock is up almost 120% over the past year and has recently been trading around $1.40. Shares surged more than 9% on Thursday morning following the news of Stern's contract, which came less than a month before his original 5-year, $500 million contract was set to expire.
Many investors were worried that Sirius CEO Karmazin wouldn't be able to afford giving Stern a raise to keep him with the company and were especially concerned about how many subscribers Sirius would lose if it lost Stern.In early September, Karmazin spoke at the Bank of America and Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference, where he told the audience he was "very confident" that Stern wouldn't leave Sirius. He added that even if Stern left the satellite radio company, he's wasn't too worried about losing listeners. "They may have come for Howard, they may love Howard... but they listen to other channels," he said, the Los Angeles Times reported. -- Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Theresa McCabe. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @TheresaMcCabe. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV