According to a Bloomberg report, Yoon Boo Keun, head of Samsung's TV business, told reporters in the South Korean capital that "we will have to see, but we are reviewing [the use of Android]."
Samsung has already thrown its weight behind Android elsewhere in its empire, and the OS features prominently on the company's smartphone lineup. The electronics giant also unveiled its Galaxy Tab last week. The device runs Android 2.2, the latest version of the Google OS, and is being touted as a challenger to Apple's iPad.
Increasingly, tech heavyweights such as Google are targeting the living room, eyeing the TV market as the launch pad for new Web services. Earlier this year the Internet giant unveiled Google TV, a service designed to run inside hardware partners' set-top boxes. Dubbed an entertainment hub, Google TV lets consumers Web-browse direct from their HDTVs. Google has already clinched deals with Sony (SNE) and Logitech (LOGI) for Google TV.Intel (INTC) is also getting in on this act by offering its Atom processor for devices that will run Google TV. Previous efforts to develop Internet TV services, however, have met with mixed reception, most notably Apple TV. Last week, the tech shop overahuled Apple TV, unveiling a box that is one-fourth the size of the original. Priced at $99, the new Apple TV box features built-in Wi-Fi and the ability to stream HD movie rentals and TV shows from a selection of Hollywood studios and TV networks. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV