Gold for December delivery closed $8.20 higher to $1,259.30 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price Tuesday has traded as high as $1,261.60 and as low as $1,246.40 during the session. The U.S. dollar index was rising 0.81% to $82.74 while the euro was falling 1.25% to $1.27 vs. the dollar. The spot gold price Tuesday was soaring $11, according to Kitco's gold index.
Gold prices broke their record close of $1,258 an ounce as investors worried that eurozone banks might be in worse shape than previously thought. The Wall Street Journal reported over the weekend that the eurozone bank stress tests were lenient and that 91 banks used slack guidelines to avoid revealing how much exposure they had to sovereign debt.
The fears coupled with Ireland's push to stabilize its flailing Anglo Irish Bank and news that 10 of Germany's largest banks will need to raise $135 billion re-ignited sovereign debt fears among investors. Gold was continuing its 5.6% August rally and will now be looking to top its record intra-day high of $1,264 an ounce. Investors were also digesting President Obama's announcement of a $50 billion stimulus package for infrastructure. Obama is also expected to unveil more small business tax credits on Wednesday. With a big push from Republicans to extend the Bush-era tax credits, which are set to expire at the end of the year, there are questions as to how the government will pay for additional stimulus. Any hints that the government will print more money or that the Federal Reserve will increase the size of its balance sheet will support higher gold prices as investors turn to the metal as a form of money. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV