Dumbest of Last Week's 5 Dumbest: We're Sick of Salmonella Sophists
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The egg industry's attempt to pin its salmonella woes on consumers was deemed the dumbest thing on Wall Street this week by readers of TheStreet.
As of late Friday, almost 38% of the 238 readers that took our poll said they found blaming consumers' shoddy cooking techniques for the salmonella scare to be a weak attempt at deflecting responsibility.
A spokesperson for the United Egg Producers, a group that represents the nation's egg farmers, told USA Today that the consumers who reported being sick from the recalled eggs ended up that way because they had failed to prepare them properly.
"It may sound harsh, and I don't mean it to sound that way. But all the responsibility cannot be placed on the farmer," Krista Eberle, director of the United Egg Producers' Food Safety Programs, told USA Today. "Somewhere along the line, consumers have to be responsible for what they put in their bodies."Almost 24% of voters said they think that the tech sector's failure to innovate was next dumbest thing this week. It seems that companies within the sector are just throwing around money instead of funding their own research and development. Companies such as HP (HPQ), Intel (INTC), and IBM (IBM) seem more eager to buy their innovation rather than developing it themselves. This method is among the most expensive and inefficient ways to grow a business. Mediacom's (MCCC) rejection of its own CEO's buyout offer outraged 15% of voters. When Rocco Commisso, offered $245 million, or $6 per share, to purchase the remaining stock he doesn't already own and take the company private, the company board wouldn't accept.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV