Biotech is very much driven by stock-specific catalysts like clinical trial results and FDA drug approvals, so a good showing for the last three months of the year will also hinge on the outcome of some key events.
Here is a list of the biotech events with the most potential impact for the remainder of 2010:
- The FDA advisory panel for Arena Pharmaceuticals' (ARNA) obesity drug lorcaserin on Sept. 16.
- Amgen's results from a phase III study of denosumab in the prevention of prostate cancer.
- Genzyme's ongoing M&A dance with Sanofi.
- Presentation of hepatitis C drug data from Vertex Pharmaceuticals and Merck (MRK) at the American Association for the Study of Liver Disease annual meeting in November.
- FDA's approval decision for Human Genome Sciences' (HGSI) lupus drug Benlysta on Dec. 9.
- Likewise, the FDA's expected approval decision on Oct. 22 for the diabetes drug Bydureon from Amylin Pharmaceuticals (AMLN), Eli Lilly (LLY) and Alkermes (ALKS).
- Medicare's national coverage determination meeting for Dendreon's prostate cancer vaccine Provenge on Nov. 17.
--Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV