Biotech is very much driven by stock-specific catalysts like clinical trial results and FDA drug approvals, so a good showing for the last three months of the year will also hinge on the outcome of some key events.Here is a list of the biotech events with the most potential impact for the remainder of 2010:
- The FDA advisory panel for Arena Pharmaceuticals'(ARNA - Get Report) obesity drug lorcaserin on Sept. 16.
- Amgen's results from a phase III study of denosumab in the prevention of prostate cancer.
- Genzyme's ongoing M&A dance with Sanofi.
- Presentation of hepatitis C drug data from Vertex Pharmaceuticals and Merck(MRK) at the American Association for the Study of Liver Disease annual meeting in November.
- FDA's approval decision for Human Genome Sciences'(HGSI) lupus drug Benlysta on Dec. 9.
- Likewise, the FDA's expected approval decision on Oct. 22 for the diabetes drug Bydureon from Amylin Pharmaceuticals(AMLN), Eli Lilly(LLY) and Alkermes(ALKS).
- Medicare's national coverage determination meeting for Dendreon's prostate cancer vaccine Provenge on Nov. 17.