NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- A roster of stocks hit fresh 52-week highs in the first thirty minutes of trading Friday, including Philip Morris International (PM), McDonald's (MCD), Du Pont (DD) and Simon Property Group (SPG), as the major indexes jumped 1% on better-than-expected reading of the U.S. labor market.
By market cap, the largest company to hit new heights in the trailing-12 months was Philip Morris International, according to Barchart, gaining 0.4% to $53.50. The cigarette maker had a dividend yield of 4.38%.
Next by market cap was Ecopetrol (EC), a Colombian oil company. Ecopetrol's American depositary receipts added 0.9% early Friday to a 52-week high of $39.39.
McDonald's came next on the list, edging up less than 0.1% to $75.35 in early trading. The restaurant sector has been a hot topic on Wall Street this week after rumors began circulating -- and were then confirmed -- that rival Burger King had agreed to be taken private .>>Bankruptcy Watch: 20 Riskiest Restaurant Stocks Another tobacco firm, British American Tobacco (BTI), was the fourth-largest company to hit fresh highs early Friday. The London-based maker of Dunhill, Kent, Lucky Strike and Pall Mall cigarettes added 0.3% to $71.46. Chemical maker Du Pont shares pushed up 1% to a fresh 52-week high of $42.59. Simon Property Group, a real estate investment trust and the largest U.S. mall owner, saw its shares jump 1.4% in the first thirty minutes of trading, to $96.83.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV