Mariner Energy Rig Fire Stokes Fears
It's easy to see why, of course, as the Gulf region continues to struggle to regain its balance after the BP (BP) Deepwater Horizon disaster, smack in the middle of hurricane season. Just on Friday, BP said the spill had cost it $8 billion so far, which somehow sounds low.
As for Mariner Energy, a small Houston-based oil-and-gas explorer suddenly thrust into the national spotlight, here's a round-up of the latest:
By Thursday evening, however, the Coast Guard said there was no slick or "sheen." What there was was plenty of confusion: the apparently mistaken sighting seemed to be in direct conflict with information from Mariner Energy, which had been claiming that nothing had leaked from the platform following the fire. To make the matter even more bewildering, Reuters reported Thursday evening that the Coast Guard received its initial intel regarding the mile-long sheen from Mariner Energy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV