Discounts spur surprising Aug. retail sales gains
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ This year's back-to-school season isn't as big a bust for retailers as they feared â¿¿ or as last year's â¿¿ but it's not great either.
Americans are spending only when the item and price are just right, according to August reports from major chains released Thursday that showed shoppers bought a little more than a year ago.Analysts expect stores will need to keep discounting to get shoppers to spend this fall and for the holiday season while they grapple with job worries and tight credit. ___ Data shows jobless claims drop, retail sales rise WASHINGTON (AP) â¿¿ A weak economy got a little lift Thursday with new data suggesting companies aren't pursuing mass layoffs and stores are a little busier. New applications for unemployment benefits declined for a second straight week after rising in the previous three. Retailers reported surprisingly strong sales in August. And more people signed contracts to buy homes. Economists were mildly encouraged by the news, which followed several downbeat reports on housing and weaker economic growth last week. But few saw signs that the economy is gaining momentum. ___ Second Gulf spill puts moratorium back in question NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Just when America's ban on offshore exploration seemed like it might end, another disaster in the Gulf of Mexico put Big Oil back on the defensive. An offshore production platform owned by Mariner Energy Inc. caught fire Thursday morning about 200 miles west of BP's blown-out well. The incident raised more doubts in Congress about the risks of offshore drilling. The Obama administration had been mulling a quick end to its drilling moratorium, now that BP has brought its leaking well under control. White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the Mariner explosion shouldn't affect a decision on the ban, and he would not link it with BP's well.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV