BOSTON (TheStreet) -- In turbulent times, cash is king.
Companies with excess reserves can propel earnings and gain market share through mergers and acquisitions, which is particularly important today, when the U.S. economy is flagging.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke sees a "modest" pace of economic expansion in the second half of this year as consumers become stingier amid a flaccid job market. The August unemployment rate, scheduled to be released today, may show joblessness rose for the first time in four months. That's worrying investors, who pushed down the benchmark S&P 500 Index by almost 5% last month.
Here are 10 technology companies with zero debt and ample cash. TheStreet's quantitative equity model, which rates stocks based on fundamentals, ranks them in the top 1% for financial strength.10. FactSet Research Systems (FDS) supplies financial information and applications to investors and investment companies. Fiscal third-quarter profit inched up to $39 million, or 81 cents a share, as revenue grew 3.8%. The operating margin remained steady at 35%. FactSet's stock trades at a trailing earnings multiple of 25, a forward earnings multiple of 23 and a cash flow multiple of 17 -- on par with peer averages. Of analysts covering the stock, three, or 43%, rate it "buy" and four rank it "hold." A median target of $80.67 suggests a return of 5%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV