Mariner Rig May Have Caused Slick: Report
(Mariner Energy item updated with further information on the accident at the company's Vermillion platform.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A fire broke out on an offshore platform owned by Mariner Energy (ME) in the Gulf of Mexico, a region still reeling from the aftereffects of the massive BP (BP) oil-spill disaster -- but whether the accident has caused a leak remains unclear.
Workers were sandblasting the platform when the fire occurred, and production had been halted, a Mariner Energy spokesman told CNBC Thursday morning.
All 13 of the platform's crew were accounted for, and no injuries were reported.The spokesman also said there was neither evidence of a spill, nor any visible sheen on the surface of the water. Later in the day, Mariner issued a statement saying that after an "initial flyover, no hydrocarbon spill was reported." But the U.S. Coast Guard told the AP Thursday that it had located a slick not far from the Mariner platform. The slick measured a mile long and about 100 feet wide, according the Coast Guard. Other reports indicate that the fire is still burning as of Thursday afternoon. According to New Orleans' WDSU, the accident occurred Thursday morning, and rescue vessels from both Houston and New Orleans have responded.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV