Toronto-Dominion, intent on significantly growing its market share in the U.S. banking markets, said Thursday that third-quarter profit surged 29%, fueled by strong retail banking results in Canada and continued expansion in the U.S.
Toronto-Dominion recorded third-quarter profit of CA$1.18 billion (U.S. $1.12 billion), or CA$1.29 (U.S. $1.23) a share, it said in its latest fiscal quarterly earnings release. That compares to Toronto-Dominion's profit of CA$912 million (U.S. $868 million), or CA$1.01 a share (U.S. 96 cents), in the year-earlier quarter. The Canadian bank's fiscal third quarter ended on July 31.
"Our third quarter results really tell the growth story of our retail businesses on both sides of the border," Toronto-Dominion's president and CEO Ed Clark said in the earnings release. "Canadian personal and commercial Banking [operations] posted another record quarter - its third in a row - and our U.S. personal and commercial banking operations also reported the highest level of adjusted earnings since we entered this market."Toronto-Dominion's U.S. personal and commercial banking operations, under the subset TD Bank, recorded a profit of $271 million in for the quarter. On an adjusted basis, the segment's profit rose 30% from the year-earlier period, to $276 million, the company said. TD Bank's revenue rose 17% driven by "broad gains across the business, including deposit and loan growth, supported by an increase in retail fees," while the provision for U.S. credit losses dropped 23%, to $126 million, according to the release. "TD Bank had a very good quarter despite the uncertainty that continues to linger in the U.S. economy," said TD Bank's CEO Bharat Masrani said in the earnings release. "We remain pleased with the pace of our organic growth as we continue to lend to our customers. In fact, since the downturn started in 2007, we've grown our lending by 20%."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV