(Pending home sales article updated with additional information and stock price movement.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- An index that measures the number of contracts to buy previously-owned homes in the U.S. rose 5.2% in July, better than expected, with gains in all four regions.
The National Association of Realtors said Thursday morning that its index of pending home sales, which tracks signed sales contracts, rose 5.2%. Economists had expected the index to fall by 1.1% to a reading of 74.9, from a downwardly revised 2.6% decline in June.
The pending home sales index plunged 29.9% in May and another 2.8% in June after the April 30 expiration of federal tax credits for homebuyers.The July index came in better than expected, but sales in the month remained 19.1% lower than July of 2009. Pending-home sales are considered a good barometer of future existing-home sales. There is typically a one- to two-month delay from when contracts are signed and home sales are closed. Reports last week showed existing-home sales plummeted 27.2% in July, far worse than the expected rate of 4.72 million units after a downwardly revised rate of 5.26 million in June. The data sparked a heated debate among readers of TheStreet. Join the discussion here. >>Existing-Home Sales: Winners & Losers
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV